Saturday, September 15, 2007

From the peace march in DC


Greetings, friends,
I was offline for a day due to tech difficulties, and haven[t time for more than a quickie!

The peace march today was great-Code Pink had a womn's convergence before the official march and we sang and sang! The ratio of music to talking was exemplary- unlike most rallies and demos- with a LOT of music and a few well chosen, very articulate and meaningful and BRIEF speakers.

The ANSWER/Iraq Veterans for Peace rally in Lafayette Park was disappointing in its refusal to have ANY music at all, and as usual way too much talking (and few folks listening). Why is the left/political world still so oblivious to the history of social change and the power that music has always played in galvanizing, organizing, unifying and strengthening those who are joined in common cause. it truly saddens me!

BUT I had so many opportunities to instigate song as we marched- especaialy whiue waiting patiently in our Code pink group for the march to start. There we really raised a joyful noise and got many many marchers all around us singing toether. The energy of song has palpable effects. I am grateful grateful grateful for all the years of singing, watching and learning from mentors like Pete Seeger, Holly Near, Bernice Johnson Reagan, and also my own SInging For Peace and Womansong Circle experiences- so that in these difficult and painful times I have so many songs and ways of leading folks in song that are needed and useful. And I continue to learn!

I'll try to get some picutres up on this site- if I can figure out how!

More to come when I have more time. Thanks for being there.

betsy

1 Comments:

At September 16, 2007 at 9:23 PM , Blogger Tina said...

Betsy, keep it up. You are doing the right thing. Two wrongs will never make a right, so keep your integrity strong and know we love you. See my comment from Friday also! xxooo Tina

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home